Karel Frielink has been an attorney as from 1989. He commenced his career with Russell Advocaten in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and subsequently worked with Loeff Claeys Verbeke. He has been working in the Dutch Caribbean (f.k.a. the Netherlands Antilles) from 1997. Until 1 October 2014 he was the managing partner of Spigt Dutch Caribbean. He is now the managing partner of BZSE Attorneys at Law Curaçao.
Karel is specializing in finance law, corporate law, corporate governance and litigation. He is the representative of ICC’s FraudNet for the Dutch Caribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, St. Maarten, St. Eustatius and Saba). FraudNet is an international network of independent lawyers who are the leading civil asset recovery specialists in each country. FraudNet is operating under the aegis of the International Chamber of Commerce.
Karel Frielink has (co-)authored over a hundred fifty books and articles on various aspects of Dutch and Dutch Caribbean law (click here). He is the author of the leading legal text book on Netherlands Antilles and Aruba corporate law (2nd edition 2006; 340 pages) and of Karel’s Legal Blog.
He is the author of ‘Toezicht trustkantoren in Nederland ‘, together with Michiel van Eersel (Supervision on trust offices in the Netherlands; 2nd edition 2010) and ‘Geschillen in het effectenverkeer ‘, together with Jerry Hoff (Disputes concerning securities transactions; 1st edition 1995).
Karel Frielink is a core editor and frequent commentator of ‘Jurisprudentie Onderneming en Recht (JOR) ’, the Netherlands leading publication of jurisprudence in corporate and commercial matters, a core editor of ‘Financieel Recht in de Praktijk (FRP) ‘ (a leading publication on Dutch finance law), a core editor of the ‘Caribisch Juristenblad ’ (the leading publication in Dutch Caribbean law matters) as well as a core editor and commentator of ‘Commentaar Financieel Recht ’, a leading Dutch publication in financial law matters.
• Curaçao Bar Association
• International Bar Association
• Dutch Finance Law Association
• Fellow of the Business & Law Research Centre, Radboud University Nijmegen
• Member academic staff at the Institute for Financial Law, Radboud University Nijmegen
• Honorary Consul of Germany in Curaçao, St. Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius & Saba (2012 – present)
• Two-term President of the Curaçao Bar Association (2008 – 2012)
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Curaçao Chamber of Commerce (2009 – 2011)
• Lecturer on Corporate Law at the University of Curaçao (2008 – 2011)
• Member of the Board of Directors of the foundation Youth into Media (Caribbean Kids News) (2009 – 2012)
• Member (current Chairman) of the Advisory Board of the foundation Citro (Citizens Rescue Organization) (2007 – present)
• Lecturer at the University of the Netherlands Antilles on ‘conflict of laws’ (private international law) (1999 – 2002).
Karel is married with two children. He resides in Willemstad, Curaçao
World Site Index – A searchable directory of websites organised by subject.